- Terry Fox training program grants available at Queen's University, Toronto
Application deadline: November 30, 2014
The Queen's University Terry Fox Foundation Training Program in Transdisciplinary Cancer Research provides young investigators, including graduate students, post PhD and post MD fellows, with training and hands-on experience in cancer research.
For more information and to apply, go to: http://qcri.queensu.ca/CIHR_Training_Program.html
- Register now for BC Node Research Day
Abstract Deadline: 5pm Tuesday, Sept. 30
Registration is open for the 4th Annual TFRI BC Node Research Day, on Thursday, Nov. 13. A poster session and reception will take place the evening before, and the day will be opened with a keynote address from Dr. John Maris.
Registration closes Friday, Nov. 7 More information
- Research funding opportunity: Ovarian Cancer
Deadline: Wednesday, October 1, 2014
The TFRI ovarian cancer Translational Research program has teamed up with Ovarian Cancer Canada and announced a $150,000 competition to support research to find 'biomarkers' using TFRI's Canadian Ovarian Experimental Unified Resource (COEUR).
For more information, see the COEUR project page
- Child and Adolescent Cancer Conference
November 3-4, 2014, Halifax, Nova Scotia
The TFRI Atlantic Node is joining with the Beatrice Hunter Cancer Research Institute to host their 5th Cancer Research Conference in Atlantic Canada. This year's focus will be on child, adolescent and young adult cancers.
- 2015 PPG competition application documents now available
Sept. 26, 2014. For the 2015 PPG competition, TFRI received 21 Letter of Intent applications. These applications were reviewed by a TFRI committee on Sept. 12, 2014. All applicants have now been informed of the outcome and seven applicants have been invited to prepare full applications. The list of seven successful applicants and full application documents can be found on the 2015 PPG competition page
- School children and students across Canada support Terry Fox research
Sept. 25, 2014. Many thanks from the Terry Fox Research Institute to all university, college and school students from across Canada who have been fundraising in Terry's name and supporting our cancer research.
- Darrell Fox honours Canmore student on National School Run Day
Sept. 24, 2014. Darrell Fox, the brother of Terry Fox and TFRI senior adviser, was in Canmore today to speak to a group of high school students and to honour student, Andrew Hunt.
Darrell also spoke with the CBC Calgary Eyeopener program to talk about Andrew and to discuss Terry's legacy. Listen to Darrell's interview
- Dr. Ling receives new honour
Sept. 19, 2014: Congratulations to TFRI President, Dr. Victor Ling, who was inducted to the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences this week in recognition of his accomplishments in cancer research. Dr. Ling was one of 50 new fellows inducted to the Academy this year, for the full list see: www.cahs-acss.ca/forums
- Inaugural Terry's CAUSE on Campus run at UBC
TFRI President, Dr. Victor Ling, took part in the inaugural Terry's CAUSE on Campus run at UBC on Sept. 14. Dr. Ling and his wife Lela joined over 100 people to participate in this new run. A great start and hopes are high for an even bigger turn out next year.
- Cancer research community joins Terry Fox Run
Our cancer research colleagues at the Ottawa Hospital Research Institute took part in this year's Terry Fox Run on Sept. 14. Many thanks to Dr. John Bell and his team for their great effort!
- TFRI News Conference
Toronto's cancer research community, elementary and high school students team up with the Terry Fox Foundation and TFRI to target hard-to-treat cancers through personalized treatment. Watch the archived stream of the TFRI news conference that took place on Wednesday, Sept. 10. http://www.vvcnetwork.ca/terryfox/20140910
- Learn more about Terry Fox Research
Listen to Dr. Victor Ling, President and Scientific Director of the Terry Fox Research Institute, as he talks about Terry Fox funded research and the challenges facing the scientists who are working hard to find cures for cancer.
Download the six audio clips from our Media Room
- Spring/Summer Newsletter 2014
- Notice - 1980 Photographs of Terry Fox Sought for National Museum Exhibit The Canadian Museum of Civilization (CMC) is looking for photographs taken by Canadians of Terry Fox in 1980 during his Marathon of Hope. The photographs will be used as part of an upcoming exhibition that the CMC and the Terry Fox Centre are developing to be launched in April 2015, marking the 35th anniversary of the Marathon of Hope. For full details visit: http://www.historymuseum.ca/terryfox
Looking for information about a Terry Fox-funded research project?
Information is available from the Canadian Institutes for Health Research's searchable database on the national Canadian Research Information System (CRIS) database. You can search by subject, investigator, funding, location or program. Access the TFF research database